Saturday, June 5, 2010

Winning the Race

I’m sure that most of us are familiar with Aesop’s fable about the tortoise and the hare, but it never hurts to refresh our memories. The hare proudly asserts that he is the fastest animal and can beat anyone. The tortoise’s response is revealing; he quietly responds that he will challenge the hare. The hare sprints from the starting line, and, once he has a seemingly insurmountable lead, he lies down for a nap. During his nap, the tortoise passes him and crosses the finish line first. When the hare arrives a moment later, the tortoise gently explains that slow and steady wins the race.



This particular Aesop’s fable is one I remember from childhood, and its lesson has stayed with me throughout the years. During all of my school years, I understood that if I wanted good grades, I had to put forth effort and endure. I also began to see, once I joined the work force, that if I wanted something, I had to work for it. I remember saving my money one summer so that I could purchase my very first CD player. I also remember the joy I derived from knowing that my hard work had allowed me the pleasure of buying something that I had wanted for a long time.


Today, I still follow the tortoise’s example. I am a big fan of the “work now, play later” philosophy. If I work now and accomplish a certain number of tasks, I can go play. I also know that the longer I endure, the sweeter the end result will be. Mathematics was my hardest subject school in school because I always had to work at it in order to understand it. My efforts paid off; I earned top marks in my class, and I felt the thrill of being able to do something that does not come naturally to me.


A lot can be said for hard work and endurance. These qualities are not only invaluable for school and careers, but they also are of benefit in day-to-day life. Webster’s Dictionary states that endurance is “the ability to withstand hardship, adversity, or stress.” To endure is to remain firm without yielding to outer or inner pressure. The Southwest Character Council suggests the analogy of a palm tree. A palm tree is one of the hardiest trees. It is not harmed by surface wounds. When it experiences droughts, the tree extends its roots to reach water. The end result of experiencing these hardships is a sweeter fruit.


While none of us probably enjoy hardships, I am sure that some of us can see the benefit of experiencing them. We change when we experience adversity, and, I hope, we change for the better. Romans 5:3-5 (NAS) says, “And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.” According to these verses, misfortunes can make us better people. They cause us to form not merely character, but proven character, the kind that remains constant despite circumstances. Proven character is not the end; rather, proven character leads to hope, the quality that keeps us going even when everything seems to be going incredibly and horribly wrong.


In my own life, I have experienced seasons where nothing seems to be going right. I recently spent almost nine months unemployed. When I found work, it was only part-time and not even remotely related to my career field. Having that part-time job made all the difference in the world, though. It slightly alleviated my current misfortune in that I was at least earning revenue. It also provided the impetus for me to continue searching for work in my field. When my search still bore no results, I started to evaluate what I wanted from a job. Did I really want a forty-hour job doing the same thing every day? Could I bear sitting at a computer for hours on end? When I realized that my answer to both questions was a resounding “no,” I started to think about what I might do. I had already started freelancing as a copywriter and editor, and I loved it, but I was a little frightened of the new idea that was forming in my mind – going into business for myself. It quickly became apparent that this was the avenue for me; several of my mentors at church, friends, and writing peers encouraged me to pursue this new career path. Since making that decision, I have been very happy with it and am experiencing the blessings of committing to that decision. While it will take some time to become a full-time business owner and operator, I feel more hope than I have in a long time. The truth, though, is that I would not be where I am today without enduring the hardship of unemployment and all that that status entails.


How do we build endurance? The Southwest Character Council has a few suggestions.


1. Know the goal
For what or whom are you working? Colossians 3:17 (NAS) states, “Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father.” For me, the ultimate goal is to please my Heavenly Father. This may not be everybody’s goal, but I know that having it as mine makes me strive that much harder to do my best and keeps me on course.


2. Take one step at a time
The Southwest Character Council says, “Great achievements consist of many little daily victories.” The Bible tells us not to worry about tomorrow for today has enough trouble of its own (Matthew 6:34 NAS). Don’t get so caught up in the big picture that you become overwhelmed. Write a list of what you need to do each day to complete your projects.


3. Find support
I’m sure we’ve all heard the saying, “No man is an island,” and it’s true. Where would we be without our supporters? We all need encouragement and constructive criticism. We also need those people in our lives who will tell us when we’re completely off-base. As Proverbs 27:17 (NAS) says, “Iron sharpens iron, / So one man sharpens another.”


4. Renew your energy
We have to have balance. We can’t work all the time, although I’m afraid I have a tendency to be a workaholic. I learned long ago, though, that I have to take time to rest. Sometimes, rest means play time. Other times, it means spending extra time with God. If I don’t rest, I’m the one who loses because I’m tired and cranky, which is not a good state for either work or rest. Isaiah 40:31 (NAS) states, “Yet those who wait for the Lord / Will gain new strength; / They will mount up with wings like eagles, / They will run and not get tired, / They will walk and not become weary.”


5. Finish well
We’ve all been there. We’re tired of working and want to quit. Think of quitting this way, though: If you were driving your car and became tired of driving, would you quit driving? Of course not. You would either finish your journey or make it to someplace where you could rest before continuing your journey. Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 9:24 (NAS), “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win.”


The key to winning the race, whether it is in your career, your education, or your daily life, is endurance. We are to be tortoises and palm trees, not hares that take off quickly but soon lose heart. All of us are meant to be winners, and we can be if we will only endure the circumstances, good and bad, in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment